Close

Camera picture Glitches

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar

Re: Camera picture Glitches

by 303 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:40 am

@ryan

I am still getting the glitch with a D-Link DCS-933L. I've added a flag to the cgi as recommended:

Did i specify the query incorrectly?

ryan

by ryan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm

@303 - that would be correct. If it isn't working the problem probably isn't coming from dropped packets, the camera is either generating incomplete or broken frames occasionally, or at least incompatible. How often do you see these? daily/hourly/etc...
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar

by 303 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 am

ryan wrote:@303 - that would be correct. If it isn't working the problem probably isn't coming from dropped packets, the camera is either generating incomplete or broken frames occasionally, or at least incompatible. How often do you see these? daily/hourly/etc...

About once an hour in what seems to be night mode only

ryan

by ryan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks 303. Does it look like the attached image? Someone on our team picked one up and experiences periodic frames like this at night. The way things in this image are shifted around it appears that the camera is simply generating a bad frame. I found several reviews on this and a few other Dlink models that report glitches in other security software as well as simpler viewers like VLC.
Attachments
Florida Room.jpg
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles

no avatar

by 303 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 pm

That's exactly it. Any suggestions?

ryan

by ryan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:31 pm

@303, can you tell whether this happens when a bright light occurs? The manual mentions the image sensor overloading in bright light scenarios, though it doesn't detail all the symptoms.

This camera does support simultaneous MJPEG and H.264 streams. If the glitch you're seeing is the result of an encoder problem using the other stream may not exhibit the problem, though with some tradeoffs - H.264 will use slightly more CPU on your system to decode the video, MJPEG will use more network bandwidth.

no avatar

by 303 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:24 pm

ryan wrote:@303, can you tell whether this happens when a bright light occurs? The manual mentions the image sensor overloading in bright light scenarios, though it doesn't detail all the symptoms.

This camera does support simultaneous MJPEG and H.264 streams. If the glitch you're seeing is the result of an encoder problem using the other stream may not exhibit the problem, though with some tradeoffs - H.264 will use slightly more CPU on your system to decode the video, MJPEG will use more network bandwidth.

No bright light, just the occasional spider or moth

no avatar
bill

by bill » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am

Ryan,
Any update on the Foscam problem? As I mentioned early last month, I have 5 cameras and your software but can't use them.......

Bill

ryan

by ryan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Bill, I'm currently waiting to hear back from Foscam.

no avatar
Max&Leo

by Max&Leo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Tagging this post for future updates. I have this same problem using the Foscam 9821W and 9831W. All are connected via ethernet. Cannot find a solution.
Last edited by Max&Leo on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion