Close

Works with Ubiquiti airCam Dome

Inquire about an unsupported model or post your own success.

Moderator: Staff

DrBunsen

Re: Works with Ubiquiti airCam Dome

by DrBunsen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I haven't set mine back up yet (I'm still in the planning stages of this project), but here is the plan at this point. I'll have FTP software running on some PC at my house, though my understanding is that it could just as easily be running on the same box as VDV. If you don't have FTP software that you like, look into Filezilla Server - it's free and highly respected.

At that point the recordings will still be onsite and in danger of being stolen if thieves steal the PC. I'll have Filezilla save the files into a Dropbox folder on the PC, so it'll be automatically uploaded to Dropbox as well as to my other PCs that have Dropbox loaded on them.

BTW, if you haven't used Dropbox yet, use this link to sign up and you'll get 2.5GB of free space instead of the normal 2GB: http://db.tt/il9833w. It'll also help me out since I'll get some extra space as well.

no avatar
pcmac

by pcmac » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

great idea,

I wonder if Vit D developers could write an option to save clips in Dropbox?

yes I use dropbox, have you tried new google drive & cubby , similar share apps?

DrBunsen

by DrBunsen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Since Dropbox just watches a folder on the hard-drive, the VDV devs would just need to make it so that it can be written to a specified folder rather than to FTP. It's probably on their own list of enhancements that they'd like to do if/when they come out of hiatus.

I've not played with Google Drive yet, but I'm set up for them to notify me when it's set up for me. I have a variety of different free online storage areas - 11.9GB with Dropbox, 50GB with Box.net, 25GB with MS Skydrive, and soon to be 5GB with Google Drive. I just like the simplicity and options of Dropbox.

For the purposes of home security, I'm going to be playing with the various services a bit. Not sure what limits I might run into, but I'd want to be sure that I can get stuff uploaded quickly, and also not run into file size limitations. The 50GB Box.net account sounds cool, but there's a 100MB limit on file sizes, and videos could easily get bigger than that. There's no file size limit with the Dropbox application that runs on your box, so if you have 2.5GB of space you could fill it with a single file if you wanted.

no avatar
pcmac

by pcmac » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:25 pm

to avoid port forward, FTP setup, I followed your suggestion,to use Dropbox

I changed Vit D save option to dropbox, you can play them in VLC or windows media player

however we have to delete when nothing important was recorded

question is Dropbox has file size limits,so whats recommended video setting,for the smallest file size for storage?

On Vit D ,edit camera setting , we only have these options :QVGA (320 x 240) VGA(640x 480) or other 2 options

ryan

by ryan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Better "save to folder/dropbox/etc..." options are on our list. A very easy workaround in the meantime is to run an ftp server on your local machine with the destination the folder you wish the clips to wind up in (in this case your dropbox directory).

pcmac - It sounds like you set your entire videos directory to reside within dropbox? This probably won't work well for you as it will include all of the cache video as well (everything that is recorded). It will also have lots of file thrash as cache is cut into clips, but simply the size alone will overwhelm your dropbox storage in a matter of minutes/hours. The FTP option above allows you to only save clips from specific rules, and ONLY the clips themselves, never cache, so I would advise trying that out.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

DrBunsen

by DrBunsen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:33 pm

I plan to use the largest file size I can, and then watch the space usage for a few days to see if I run out of space too quickly.

My understanding is that Dropbox has a 10GB limit of transfers a day. I don't *think* we'd run into that with VDV, but it's good to keep in mind just in case it does happen.

I'm hoping that I can set up my VDV Basic setup tomorrow since I've now got the PC and 2 cameras standing by. (I'll also be playing with some alternatives to VDV since I need to investigate some options, but that's a different story.)

no avatar
pcmac

by pcmac » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:34 pm

OK i'l try Filezilla or Mac equivalent ftp

what about smallest size question?

On Vit D ,edit camera setting , we only have these options :
QVGA (320 x 240) VGA(640x 480)
or other 2 options

ryan

by ryan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:52 pm

QVGA is the smallest resolution and will therefore produce the smallest file size. Depending on your camera you might or might not be happy with this, but you'll have to look at clips taken at the various resolutions to determine your own personal needs.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles

no avatar
pcmac

by pcmac » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm

run into problems again,
you said "to run an ftp server on your local machine with the destination the folder you wish the clips to wind up in "

to assign ftp from Vit D, requires many input fields ,I have not found solution yet

fillzila doesnt have ftp server for Mac ,only windows

I tried a Mac open source ftp app
cyberduck

they even have this Connecting to Dropbox info,however,I failed to log in,despite following directions

Connecting to Dropbox
http://trac.cyberduck.ch/wiki/help/en/howto/dropbox

ryan

by ryan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Cyberduck is an ftp client, as well as a client to other services (such as dropbox), but it cannot act as a server. I don't run an ftp server on OSX, so I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations. This list might be helpful to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FT ... r_software

PreviousNext

Return to Unsupported Cameras