Close

Vitamin filling up my C drive.

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
minigranis

Vitamin filling up my C drive.

by minigranis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Hello !
Newbie trying out Vitamin D, intended use is for watching over my boat in the summer.
I have a rather small C drive and a big D drive.
I have through Tools Options set up my D drive to be used Video Storage.
Still Vitamin D is filling up my C drive when writing files to c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\

Is this an expected behaviour ?
Is the C drive always used for tempfiles etc ? How large can they be ?

ryan

Re: Vitamin filling up my C drive.

by ryan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi minigranis,

As the video files are being created they are stored on the C drive and then moved to their ultimate destination when they are complete (maximum 15 minutes). The size of these files will vary based on camera framerate, quality, and the resolution you are saving at. VGA (640x480) for example is typically in the range of 80-100mb/15 minutes. Vitamin D Video aside, in general it is a good idea to have several gigs free on your primary drive as this is what windows uses for things like temporary files and virtual memory.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
minigranis

by minigranis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:13 pm

ryan wrote:Hi minigranis,

As the video files are being created they are stored on the C drive and then moved to their ultimate destination when they are complete (maximum 15 minutes). The size of these files will vary based on camera framerate, quality, and the resolution you are saving at. VGA (640x480) for example is typically in the range of 80-100mb/15 minutes. Vitamin D Video aside, in general it is a good idea to have several gigs free on your primary drive as this is what windows uses for things like temporary files and virtual memory.

Thanks for your answer.
While waiting for a reply I did rearrange my partitions so I now have a big C drive.
However the above directory is right now carrying 80G of files. I am using the free version (ie no 640x480 capture).
From what you are writing above I guess something strange is going on.
Screenshot:

When looking into this I found some references to directories in the file backEndPrefs. For a test, before I rearranged my partitions, I did change references in that file, it made no change as to where files were created so I changed it back.
Content of the current file:
Code: Select all
(dp1
S'maxStorageSize'
p2
I250
sS'emailSettings'
p3
(dp4
S'toAddrs'
p5
S''
sS'fromAddr'
p6
S'xxxxx@yyyyyyy'
p7
sS'host'
p8
S'xxxxxxx'
p9
sS'user'
p10
S'xxxxxxxx'
p11
sS'encryption'
p12
S'ssl'
p13
sS'password'
p14
S'xxxxxxxx'
p15
sS'port'
p16
I1234
ssS'cacheDuration'
p17
I48
sS'dataDir'
p18
VC:\u005CDocuments and Settings\u005CAdministrator\u005CLocal Settings\u005CApplication Data\u005CVitamin D Video\u005Cvideos
p19
sS'videoDir'
p20
S'C:\\DriveD\\VitaminD'
p21
sS'ftpSettings'
p22
(dp23
S'host'
p24
S''
sS'user'
p25
V
sS'isPassive'
p26
I01
sS'directory'
p27
V
sS'password'
p28
V
sS'port'
p29
I21
ssS'armSettings'
p30
(dp31
S'wantArmDelay'
p32
I01
sS'camerasNotToArm'
p33
(lp34
sS'armDelayMinutes'
p35
I1
ss.

I know that I probably mucked around abit to much, but I still find it strange that my Temp directory contains 80 Gig of files, and it is still growing for every day.

ryan

by ryan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi minigranis,

I apologize for not reading your previous post correctly. Vitamin D Video will store data in the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Vitamin D Video\ and not ......\Local Settings\Temp as you posted.

I honestly have no idea what is creating those multigig tmp files, but I'm not sure how it could be VDV. Our temporary video files will be stored in the ......\Vitamin D Video\videos\tmp folder, would never grow to that sort of size, and additionally we never create anything with the ".tmp" extension.

In the preferences file you posted I noticed that you have your video directory selected as C:\DriveD\VitaminD - do you have some sort of application that watches the "DriveD" folder on your C drive and sends them to an external hard drive? Could that be getting confused by the constant activity and creating these giant tmp files?
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles

no avatar
minigranis

by minigranis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for your help.
No need for applogies.
[edit]
For got to answer your question, no such SW exists. I only have VTD and a weatherstation SW running on this PC
[/edit]

I will dare you and say that VTD is indeed creating the tmp files.
I turned my cam off in VTD, removed all files in the c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\
Turned on my cam and hey presto a temp file like above created.
Screenshot:

In the session_log directory, file: rrlog.txt I found the following:
Code: Select all
----- Simple Request ----------------------------
status -netLoaded
----------- Response ----------------------------
Valid: true Type: '0' Responses(1):

status -netLoaded

netLoad "C:\Program Files\Vitamin D Video\analyticsLib\pipelineElements\pipelineUtils\networks\smotion/008.001.003/networks/lite.xml.gz"
Valid: true Type: '0' Responses(0):

status -netLoaded

In the other files in these directories I can also find references to VTD.
When turing my cam on/off in VTD I can clearly see a connection between files created named IH751D.tmp and similar names and VTD.
As you said I also se *.mp4 files created in the ../videos/tmp/"CamName" dir.

Any idea as to what is going on ?

ryan

by ryan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 pm

This is definitely not expected/standard behavior. Can you run the app for a while and then submit a bug report from inside the application? Maybe the logs will give some indication of what is going on.

no avatar
minigranis

by minigranis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Sure will do.
[edit]
Sending right now, temp dir is currenly 1 GB..

no avatar
minigranis

by minigranis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am

Any news on this issue/bugreport, temp dir is now 95 GB and still growing.

ryan

by ryan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 am

Hi minigranis,

The log files you submitted all look perfectly normal.

The text files you found that refer to VDV are in the "sessions" folders, these should be quite small (measured in megabytes, not gigabytes). They are logs from the artificial intelligence portion of VDV, and are safe to delete (as anything in the Temp folder should be).

I still have no idea how the multi-gig *.tmp files could be related to Vitamin D Video as there is nothing in our code base that would create these. Do you have any firewall software, third party network drivers, monitoring software, or anything of that sort running?

- ryan

no avatar
minigranis

by minigranis » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 am

This is really intresting...
I am running VDV, Nod32 (antivirus), Cumulus (weather station SW), Cumulus Toolbox (and addon to Cumulus), VNCUltra (remote controll), VMWare with network drivers, Handbrake, DVDfab6 and thats about it.

I will try to turnoff various bits of SW and see what happends.

Next

Return to Technical Support