Close

Feature Request = Linux Support

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
ENickRyan

Re: Feature Request = Linux Support

by ENickRyan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 pm

+1 linux support.

no avatar
ZaLiTHkA

by ZaLiTHkA » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:52 am

Wow, only 11 posts in 5 years? I'm quite surprised this request hasn't had more activity.. Oh well, now you can add one more vote to the pool.

In the spirit of not becoming just another "+1"; the only reason I've kept Windows is for gaming (one machine), while everything else in my household runs some variation of Linux (3 machines). After the whole registration process, I was a very sad panda when I got to the downloads page and saw the supported operating.

Considering I'm pretty new to both Sighthound and this forum, could anyone from Sighthound Inc perhaps comment on this and say whether it's even a viable option or not? If it doesn't behave nicely running through Wine and I have to spend even more dough to acquire a Windows license just to run a camera system, then I'd rather go look for a different system entirely.

no avatar
wifiuk

by wifiuk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 am

I purchased a licence and run it on a windows VM but would much prefer a Linux based machine to run it from.

I've never had an official response in the forum.

no avatar
lomba80

by lomba80 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am

+1 also from me. In a VM environment is better to have a Linux machine then a Windows one. Please do it!

no avatar
wifiuk

by wifiuk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:30 am

i dont think they care or have any plans to care, been asking for a while

ryan

by ryan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm

We certainly care and I would love to offer a Linux version. In fact, if it were any small/moderate task we'd be working on it already just to satisfy Sighthound employees. Unfortunately even with a head start on cross platform compatibility from supporting both Windows and macOS variants it would be a significant undertaking and not something we can dedicate resources to at this moment in time.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
ZaLiTHkA

by ZaLiTHkA » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 am

ryan wrote:We certainly care and I would love to offer a Linux version.

Thanks for the feedback.. As sad as I am to find out this is still just a dream, it is at least nice to know that it's something you guys also dream of. :) Maybe one day then.

no avatar
moo083

by moo083 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 am

+1 Agree. I may use a Mac for my main machine, but I use a FreeNAS box as my server with Docker containers (and therefore Linux).

Please please please. Add Linux support.

no avatar
foustep

by foustep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 am

+1 debian, centos or docker support would be a great addition! Windows requires a Windows license, and a Mac you would have to buy and can't be run in a virtual machine.

no avatar
fugozzie

by fugozzie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am

+1 for sighthound on linux.

Previous

Return to Feature Requests