Close

Feature Request = Linux Support

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
AnthonyZ

Feature Request = Linux Support

by AnthonyZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 am

Having native Linux support (without having to use a VM or WINE) would be terrific. There are more Linux users out there than people think. Just my $.02...

no avatar
jdub

Re: Feature Request = Linux Support

by jdub » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:31 pm

I would also like to see native Linux support.

no avatar
jhigham

by jhigham » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 am

+1 for Linux. Currently use Mint and CentOS. I am unable to get Sighthound to run under WINE or CrossOver. Has anyone else had success?

no avatar
beeftube

by beeftube » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 pm

I'd support this. Would mitigate OS costs or burning a Windows license (or doing something shady with OSX in a VM) on a dedicated SightHound host.

I know SightHound's primary user base probably isn't using it on a dedicated host, but it sure does lend itself to it. I'd even support a Linux-based SightHound appliance in ISO/OVF form designed to be run standalone (think FreeNAS, pfSense, others) so there's no futzing around with package management and library incompatibilities.

Heck, I'd buy it again for that capability.

no avatar
lgreer84

by lgreer84 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I would love to pay you the full enterprise cost of Sighthound. Really! I have 6 IP cameras. All Samsung Smart Cams. The Samsung interface is awful! I love everything Sighthound can do. The problem?... My whole family is exclusively Linux. No Windows with their endless bloatware and tired user interface and expensive licensing. No Apple walled garden. Everything about sighthound lends itself to being opensource friendly... Except you've alienated the largest open source community.

Are there any plans to bring linux support to Sighthound? As soon as it's released I'll gladly pay you.

Carsten

by Carsten » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Running Sighthound natively on a Linux machine would be great. +1

Carsten

no avatar
lgreer84

by lgreer84 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:13 pm

I will buy the enterprise license the day you release native Linux support... Or even an HTML5 web client that communicates securely over port 443 and allows for connection over a home network. Until then, I'll have to keep using Samsung's awful interface.

no avatar
GoldPaintedLemons

by GoldPaintedLemons » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:37 am

Ditto

I run Widows and Linux but the experience of managing something like PVR software on Linux far exceeds that of Windows.

At a bare minimum, let the core process run as an actual Windows SERVICE, not just a program that runs on startup.

no avatar
Jmtyra

by Jmtyra » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 am

I concur, having native Linux support should be a priority. While there is the option for using Windows Server, I would much rather have this running on a Linux box and not have to worry about it.

There is a reason the majority of the internet runs on Linux ;)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/can-the-in ... out-linux/

no avatar
wifiuk

by wifiuk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:41 pm

+1 for native linux support please

Next

Return to Feature Requests