Close

Native support for Apple’s new M1 processor

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
robert@tsgus.com

Native support for Apple’s new M1 processor

by robert@tsgus.com » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 pm

With Apple’s big news of the day being several new Macs running on their M1 processor, I find myself wanting to put one of them to use as a Sighthound system. Is native support for the M1 on Sighthound’s roadmap? If so, when will it be available?

no avatar
JesseS

Re: Native support for Apple’s new M1 processor

by JesseS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:05 pm

What he said +1

no avatar
arnljot

by arnljot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 am

+1 here! This is, to be honest, a dealbreaker. Securityspy is launching this now. I never fancied Secspy because of poor motion detection. This is what made me purchase Sighthound.

However; if my chickens continue to be identified as people, and snow as cars, well........ bye,bye

Also: Securityspy is launching new version with Homekit integration!!! Might also make me jump ship.

Please say something to make me stay: I have been a loyal customer for a while now, and would like to still be

no avatar
arnljot

by arnljot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:08 am

Any response from staff on this?

no avatar
Neurobit

by Neurobit » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:34 am

Never mind M1 support which would be nice. How about support for Big Sur?
C’mon, this isn’t new guys. It has been available in beta since the summer...

no avatar
FKemp

by FKemp » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Did the developers respond to the M1 support question? Debating moving to Sighthound, but it's a big issue for me. I don't want to switch from Apple's ecosystem because I work for prothesiswriter.com and I've set up a good workflow for writing.
Last edited by FKemp on Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Neurobit

by Neurobit » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:52 pm

No updates as far as I've seen. They're supposed to be releasing a beta to make Big Sur work, but even that's not out yet, so I would imagine once they get that to work, they'll get started on Apple silicon support. I don' care right now. In the same boat. Just want to test it on the M1 with Rosetta.

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi,

Currently, there are no immediate plans to have Sighthound Video run natively on the Apple silicone. It is something we will consider in the future, but again we don't any immediate plans.

Take care,

Kenneth

no avatar
visionik

by visionik » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:34 am

Hi, a few things on this.

I have run Sighthound Video 7 on my M1 MacBook Air. Performance is quite impressive even when running Sighthound with Rosetta 2 (install-time translation of Intel code to Apple M1).

There are three things that stand between today and native Sighthound Video M1 support:

1. Since Sighthound Video 6 we made extensive improvements to make Sighthound Video fast on Intel processors. For M1 that work needs to be completely redone (while also maintaining our Intel optimizations for other platforms).

2. In Sighthound Video 7 we added GPU support on Windows, to do that on Mac we need to support an API called METAL. That work is now starting. Let's say it's done in SV 7.5 (no promises). The end result will be that the performance of "Intel" SV 7 running with Rosetta 2 + native Apple METAL support will be much faster than any release of Sighthound Video on Mac ever was. We might get single-digit % faster when we add native M1 at that point, maybe. Why is this? Because most of the "hard work" of Sighthound Video will be running natively on the M1 GPU at that point, not the M1 CPU.

3. Sighthound Video is written in Python 2.x, which apple doesn't support on Big Sur. We had to create a custom Intel build of Python and work around several Big Sur bugs to make Sighthound Video 7 work on Big Sur. This was a pain in the ___ and ate up almost all of the development time we had committed for the 7.0 release.

We really don't want to do a custom build of Python 2.x for M1. So what are our options to get native M1 support: a) Port 100% of the code to Python 3, which doesn't make sense as all of our new apps are written in TypeScript, or b) Transition Sighthound Video from Python to TypeScript. "B" has been our plan for over a year now. The good news is we are staying focused on that plan as it is in the short and long term best interests of *all* Sighthound Video users.

Unfortunately this does mean native M1 support is likely at least a year away. In the meantime, as I said, from my experience todays Sighthound Video performance on M1 is quite good, and when our METAL support is done, it will really make the added performance improvements from native M1 support relatively small.

Best,

-Jonathan Taylor (Sighthound Co-Founder and Chairman)

no avatar
arnljot

by arnljot » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:05 pm

RUN!

Next

Return to General Discussion