Close

Cant start remote viewing

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
cam

Cant start remote viewing

by cam » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey there,

I cant get the remote viewing setup on my sight hound installation. I have even disabled windows firewall and it still wont work! Not even locally.

I am a SysAdmin and a Software Developer so naturally have a Sophos UTM Firewall (Enterprise Grade) ;) , however I dont feel like it will make much of a difference as I can access other servers locally and externally. (I have portforwarded and it should work!)

I just get stuck on this http://imgur.com/pLtIxrn .

Please see the attached images, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Devin

Re: Cant start remote viewing

by Devin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Cam,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue with remote access. It looks like the web server is unable to start at all. Please submit a bug report so we can take a look at your logs. You can submit a bug report by going to Help > Report a Problem. Be sure to include a link to this post so we know it is you.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
Slipkid

by Slipkid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Identical issue here.

no avatar
BHudson454

by BHudson454 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Not sure if this is a solution, but I was also experiencing the same symptoms.

To resolve the issues I shutdown all the cameras and exited the software. (Verified Sighthound was not running in Task Manager)
I then started Sighthound as administrator. (Right-Click Sighthound -> "Run As Administrator")
As this point the remote viewing started successfully.

Hope this helps.

Note: I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit

no avatar
funkydude

by funkydude » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm also having an issue accessing remote viewing. I can access it locally, but not from outside despite port forwarding set manually and correctly (no issues accessing any other service so it's not a router issue).

I have tried with and without the built in option to port forward via the options. Fwiw it's not successful at port forwarding using this method, it stalls at attempting to connect which is why I prefer to do it manually.

no avatar
klacker

by klacker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:05 am

I upgraded to v3 now remote server status sits there at 'Starting' too.

Previously had been working fine. Disabled and renabled remote access, ran sighthound as admin, no change.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ryan

by ryan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:14 pm

@funkydude - when you say that you can access it "locally" does that mean from the same computer running Sighthound Video? If possible, please try from a different device on the same internal network. If that device cannot connect, it almost always indicates that there is firewall software on the Sighthound Video computer that is blocking incoming access.

@klacker - Does this persist after a reboot, or if you change the port? If so, please submit a bug report from "Help->Report a Problem..." and we'll be glad to take a look at your logs.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
funkydude

by funkydude » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:37 pm

@ryan Sorry for not clarifying, I was not able to access it on another device on the local network. Despite this, I have confirmed that Windows Firewall was not blocking the software (I have no other firewall software).

Of course Chrome will warn me about the unsafe SSL certificate on my localhost, but it works. I just can't figure out why it's not even accessible via an internal ip address with the correct port.

no avatar
klacker

by klacker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:15 am

Unfortunately this persists after several reboots.
I just tried changing the port, but no change either - updates, then sits at 'starting'

I need to downgrade anyways as it rarely detects people walking through my front door now :shock:
v3 is a dud.

ryan

by ryan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:52 pm

The application does not know whether connections are coming from the local computer, the internal network, or outside of your home, it simply has a binding to a given port on the local machine. If you are seeing the web server working on the local computer but not from other devices then something on the local machine is blocking incoming requests to that port.

If 2.5 does suffer from this issue and you had previously added an exception to your firewall it may be that the firewall has blocked 3.0 due to the update and such exceptions need to be re-added.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

Next

Return to Technical Support