Close

Best CPU with lowest TDP for 3+ 1MP-Cameras?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
W2K3R2

Best CPU with lowest TDP for 3+ 1MP-Cameras?

by W2K3R2 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:20 am

Hi there!

I want to build a new (HT)PC/-Server mainly for video surveillance purposes using Sighthound an three (3) 1 Megapixel IP-Cameras. (Maybe i'll attache two cameras in the future so the system should be handle five (5) cams fine.)

I was struggeling finding the right CPU for my server: Fastest one w/ lowest TDP. I found two different CPUs available on the market:

- AMD Athlon 5350, Kabini, Quad-Core-CPU 2,05GHz, 25W TDP

or

- Intel Pentium Processor G3220, Haswell, Dual-Core-CPU, 3GHz, 53W TDP

Which CPU is the best choice for my mentioned setup? Or is there another CPU that i missed?

Thanks in advance!

ryan

Re: Best CPU with lowest TDP for 3+ 1MP-Cameras?

by ryan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Hiya,

We have a few example setups listed toward the bottom of this article that may help: http://www.sighthound.com/support/system-requirements

When comparing CPUs I find the site linked in that article, http://cpubenchmark.net/, to be incredibly helpful at comparing actual performance.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
ahallada

by ahallada » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 pm

no avatar
ahallada

by ahallada » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am

Actually I've been researching that new Haswell i7 8 core CPU on the X99 chipset and it really is a beast for the money. That computer I listed above will run circles around the iMac and Mac Pro being offered now at far less $$$$$. It's right up there in processing performance with the higher end Xeons that you won't find in those Mac Pros at any price. The current Mac Pros aren't even at the level of the higher end iMacs with a quad core i7.

It will be interesting to see if Apple releases an iMac with this new X99 chipset and 8 core i7 or if they stick with the older chipsets and Quad core i7. This could be a game changer for anyone wanting to run a full network of 2-3MP cams on a processor intensive program like SH.

no avatar
milrtime83

by milrtime83 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 am

W2K3R2 wrote:I want to build a new (HT)PC/-Server mainly for video surveillance purposes using Sighthound an three (3) 1 Megapixel IP-Cameras. (Maybe i'll attache two cameras in the future so the system should be handle five (5) cams fine.)

Have you built this computer yet? I'm curious how it's working if you have. I'm looking for something similar, 3-4 camera's with room to stream Netflix at the same time. The 5350 seems like it would be a bit slow for that many camera's and the G3220 is only dual core. I'm considering the i3-4150 (54watts) or an AMD A8-6500 (65watts). The i3 has a higher passmark score but I'm not sure if the 4 cores on the A8 are better for this application than the 2 cores + hyperthreading on the i3.

no avatar
ahallada

by ahallada » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:51 pm

I have some performance results comparing the Mac Pro 6 Core Xeon 3.5Ghz, 32GB/ OSX 10.10 to the new Intel Haswell 8 Core 5960X i7, 32GB on X99 chipset / Win 8.1 Pro

I set up 5 Axis M3007P cams running at 5MP each in SH (most current version). I was surprised by the results. The Mac Pro performed better than expected.

Mac Pro 6 Core Xeon 3.5Ghz/ 32GB DDR3 = 28% of CPU usage

Intel 8 Core 5960X i7 3Ghz/ 32GB DDR4 = 24% CPU usage

I purchased the Mac Pro for around $3,300 and the Intel 5960X (Newegg) for around $2600.00.

I will pay a little extra for Mac OSX and a super quiet computer (barely audible)!

no avatar
milrtime83

by milrtime83 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 pm

ahallada wrote:I have some performance results comparing the Mac Pro 6 Core Xeon 3.5Ghz, 32GB/ OSX 10.10 to the new Intel Haswell 8 Core 5960X i7, 32GB on X99 chipset / Win 8.1 Pro

I set up 5 Axis M3007P cams running at 5MP each in SH (most current version). I was surprised by the results. The Mac Pro performed better than expected.

Mac Pro 6 Core Xeon 3.5Ghz/ 32GB DDR3 = 28% of CPU usage

Intel 8 Core 5960X i7 3Ghz/ 32GB DDR4 = 24% CPU usage

I purchased the Mac Pro for around $3,300 and the Intel 5960X (Newegg) for around $2600.00.

I will pay a little extra for Mac OSX and a super quiet computer (barely audible)!

This is your third post in this thread and I don't see how any of them are relevant...You're posting very high end systems with high end processors that use a lot of power. This thread is discussing low power processors that will get the job done.

no avatar
ahallada

by ahallada » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Well there is more than just the CPU that is sucking power. You need to look at the efficiency of your PSU, hard drives, the graphic card, fans, MB, any peripherals you have attached and the monitor you are projecting on for the complete picture of power usage. Why limit yourself to less power just based on CPU power consumption? Are you tying this to an off grid solar system?

You also need to keep in my mind how much power your CPU is consuming under full load vs. light loads. If for example you have a lower end CPU under heavy loads of 80- 90% of CPU usage 24/7 and it causes more heat build up, this results in higher fan speeds, and more stress to surrounding HDs, video cards, as well as the processor itself.

I put the results above in a separate thread for anyone who is interested.

no avatar
milrtime83

by milrtime83 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:11 pm

ahallada wrote:Well there is more than just the CPU that is sucking power. You need to look at the efficiency of your PSU, hard drives, the graphic card, fans, MB, any peripherals you have attached and the monitor you are projecting on for the complete picture of power usage.

Assuming you don't need a graphic card in an HTPC/surveillance computer, the processor is the logical place to look at saving power. The rest of the components have minimal variation. That being said, your high end systems are beyond overkill for this application and don't take power consumption into consideration in any of their components because they are designed for computing speed.

ahallada wrote:Why limit yourself to less power just based on CPU power consumption? Are you tying this to an off grid solar system?

For something that is on 24/7, the difference between using 80W and 180W can add up to hundreds of dollars over a few years. And as you said, less power = less fan speed = less noise. It wouldn't make sense to put a processor that is capable of using 140W when you want to minimize power consumption/heat/noise.

no avatar
ahallada

by ahallada » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:32 am

I guess I've never thought about power consumption of computers as being a big deal but now you have me thinking. I found a table for Mac Pro that lists power consumption around 43W at idle and 200-250W at Max.

Here is a table for Mac Pro power consumption.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2836

Powerful Mac Mini at 11W idle and 85W Max.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3468

The new 5960X is a very efficient processor at 15W idle and 85W Max

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/int ... 918-8.html

The less power certainly does not relate to less noise when it comes to PCs. I used to build PC DAWs for ProTools and the noise was always an issue we had to contend with no matter what CPU was used. Less efficient processors will create more heat and require more cooling. This has nothing to do with their power, but everything to do with efficiency.

Apple has done a great job of limiting noise in their computers and using their computer cases as giant heat sinks to dissipate the heat from hard drives and CPUs. We used to spend hundreds of dollars trying to make PCs as quiet and I've never found one that was as quiet as an iMac or Mac Mini.

Next

Return to General Discussion