Close

Memory leak on Mac verision

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
packetguy

Memory leak on Mac verision

by packetguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 am

On my iMac 27" i5 quad-core with 8GB RAM, MacOS v10.6.8, running VitaminD Pro unlimited version results in all memory being consumed within 48 hours. I started experiencing the problem shortly after upgrading to Pro, but I suspect it existed all along and I just hadn't run VitaminD long enough to realize the leak was occurring. I confirmed this with an unattended test this weekend: I booted my Mac fresh and VitaminD launched automatically, with both of my cameras recording. Only 2GB of memory was used (wired and active memory, (the red and yellow segments in Apple's Activity Monitor) when I left for the weekend. When I came in this morning, the Mac was very, very slow -- performing lots of paging. Activity Monitor showed all memory consumed -- no green segment at all, only a small (less than 1GB) blue (inactive) segment and more than 5GB in the yellow segment. Only a handful of recordings had been made -- totaling a few minutes -- and most of those were false alerts. More than 250GB of disk space were available at the time. CPU usage was low on all four cores -- the slowness was due to massive disk activity. Help!

no avatar
packetguy

Re: Memory leak on Mac verision

by packetguy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Is anyone from VitaminD going to weigh in on this question? Should I submit this to support@vitamind?

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 am

I am not a MAC person, so I cannot offer any specific info, but I had some odd problems with particular cameras on a particular PC. I could not connect two particular models of cameras at the same time on a PC I had (they were happy on a different PC!).

So I suggest that you see if the memory leak occurs using just one camera... and be sure to repeat the test with just the other camera. i.e.: It could be that two cameras in use simultaneously is the problem and it could be that just one of the cameras is the problem (even if they appear to be the exact same camera brand/model, as there could be differences in the firmware built-in to the camera).

Another thing to try (based on a problem I had with one particular PC and using multiple USB webcams) is a different computer (it would be nice to try totally different hardware just to see if it is hardware specific). I recognize the possible difficulty of getting another computer, but in these odd situations, swapping everything possible is sometimes the easiest way to troubleshoot the problems.

I am just a satisfied user of VDV and I am just trying to brainstorm with you to see if we can figure out the problem and get it fixed.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
doug

by doug » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 am

packetguy,

The best thing you can do is to "Report a Problem..." when you're seeing the leak. One thing included the logs sent to me is a list of all running Vitamin D Proceses and their current memory usage. That will allow us to confirm your memory leak and figure out which process it is in and give us some idea of where to look and other things to try. I would imagine that there is something exceptional about your situation, since we've done a lot of searching for memory leaks and think things are pretty solid as far as memory goes.

Feel free to mention my name and this post in your bug report so that it makes it to me.

-Doug

Return to Technical Support