Close

Timeline Scrubbing

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
BeanBagKing

Timeline Scrubbing

by BeanBagKing » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:10 pm

I want to be able to record 24/7, which I believe Sighthound does, and stores videos temporarily under "<drive>\Sighthound Videos\archive", and then quickly move back and forth through those videos if I want to search for some event that may not have been alerted on. The closest thing I can think of is either video editing where you scrub back and forth through a longer video, or Ubiquiti's "Timelapse" feature. Once you find an area that you want, you can grab and export a chunk of it.

Hoping that this makes it into the new v7 or v7.5

Semper Vaporo

Re: Timeline Scrubbing

by Semper Vaporo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am

Methinks you can do that already. In the Search mode, select a single camera and in the timeline at the very bottom you can coarsely select a starting point, or you can select a marked clip to start at. From there you can go forward or backward by dragging the marker in the shorter timeline directly below the video display. You can also move forward or backward in 2 second increments using the "+:02" or "-:02" buttons or move a frame at a time using the ">" and "<" buttons (the up and down arrows will move to the previous/next marked clip, skipping the intermediate video).

You can also click the "+" button under the list of rules to create a new rule that will repopulate the list of clips with rule found events. You can refine that rule to fit your needs.

Rules created this way are then used in real-time to indicate rule saved NEW video, but unfortunately, a rule created after the real-time video does not mark the previous video as "saved by rule" clips.

The "-" button will delete a selected rule (so a newly created rule won't save clips in the real-time video or to delete some other rule).

Anywhere in the video stream you can export either a marked clip (however long it is) or if you are viewing video that is between clips "saved by rule" you can still export a 2 minute clip of the video. I have exported a longer video by exporting multiple 2 minute clips. Or, once I find the area of interest, I go to the raw video folder on disk and copy the desired files to cover the time I need. I then use a video editor to sew the clips back together and export the video as one file.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
BeanBagKing

by BeanBagKing » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am

You are correct, I missed this under the "event scrubber" (the top one for whatever event you are on), thanks. It looks like the blue colored sections are clips saved by rules, and the green are those that are not (and thus will drop off first as space/time runs out)?

I would still like to see some improvements here. As you said, you can coarsely select a starting point, and that's a great word for it. It's not a smooth scrubbing that allows you to quickly review events over the period of a couple hours. It's jumpy and laggy and seems to land me in an approximate starting location. Maybe that's because I'm connecting to my Sighthound server via RDP? I would still like to be able to select a time frame, rather than just 2 minutes at a time, and make it to the web console.

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Yes, to the meaning of the blue and green sections.

Selecting via the timeline at the bottom can never be much more accurate that the number of pixels on screen allotted for the time... if there are more minutes per day than there are pixels on the screen there would be no way to pick some particular time to the minute. There are ways around that (a scrolling timeline where it forces there to be one pixel per minute available), but it may not be worth the effort. And yes, dragging the time marker is slow to respond and also very inaccurate unless you can drag the mouse really slowly, but then it may be quicker to use the "-0:02' and "+0:02" buttons, which are also way to slow for rapid scrolling. The speed can be affected by the power of the CPU (number of CPU's, number of threads, etc.), the speed of the disk drive and where the various files reside (separate disks for the database and the raw data?).

As a professional programmer (retired) I see lots of things I would do differently in this software, but SightHound sees it differently, so I am stuck with what they decide. I admit that I have not perused the various surveillance software market for quite some time, but SightHound ("VitaminD") was the best around when I found it and I am sticking with it for now (even though I am stuck at an old version because my computer system has no internet connection and thus cannot verify the license via the require "phone home" feature of the newer versions. I also cannot use any of the remote monitoring features and I cannot comment about any problems with remote access. I am satisfied with what I have, lack of features and less than ideal layout and operation are acceptable for now. I know of no better for my purposes.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
dougep2720

by dougep2720 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:15 pm

It would be nice to zoom in and out of the timeline for a more precise way of getting to a specific time of day. It really is difficult to get to a specific spot if you are wanting to review video that may not have been specific to a motion (e.g. loud sound that you need to review). Many other systems do this and I don't think it would be hard to implement.

Return to Feature Requests