Close

Experience using cameras for everyone

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Taggart

Experience using cameras for everyone

by Taggart » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:23 am

Hi friends
I have long wanted to write my own story about the experience of using different cameras. I think it would be quite useful for beginners, and perhaps for people with experience. I need your help because I don't write very well. If you know in what format I can create it then help
thank you :D

Semper Vaporo

Re: Experience using cameras for everyone

by Semper Vaporo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 am

What do you intend to do with the story when you have it completed?

Post it in a blog and point to it in a post here?
Post it here in some thread?
Publish it? How?

Is it to be just a list of cameras and comments about its usefulness as a surveillance camera? i.e.: a reference list?

Or is it to be a Memoir of your experiences as a sort of novel or novella?

As quickly as cameras show up on the market and just as quickly disappear in favor of some other feature or more marketable super-duper model name, probably many of the cameras will be so obsolete as to make critiques to be useless, but possibly brand identification critique could be of value for reference to decide on whether to purchase one camera over another.

As a memoir or novella it might prove to be an interesting read to those of us that have wallowed in a plethora of cameras (commiseration?), but I don't see it as being a large audience or a chance at being a best-seller unless you are an exceptionally brilliant author at weaving a story.

I have written articles for magazines (unpaid contributor) just because I wanted to share my experiences in various disciplines (Live Steam Garden Railroading and computers/software and photo editing, not video/camera/surveillance related) and I have written a 488 page novel and published it on Amazon KDP as both a paperback and a Kindle e-book. A fun experience, but not a financial success. :(

I use MS Word exclusively for all my writing because I rely on its spell check, grammar checking and formatting tools. There are also free clones of MS Word, one is Open Office, the other is named something like Libra Office; they are supposed to be just as good as MS Word.

If you plan to publish (paper or E-book), I'd suggest you file a copyright registration with the U.S. (or your country's equivalent) Copyright Office (just writing it, automatically copyrights it but the registration makes it easier to collect if someone steals your work) and when the inevitable call from a "Vanity Publisher" comes to tell you they want to publish your wonderful prose, HANG UP ON THEM! They are just an ego stroking money sink ("For just another couple hundred dollars we can put some more finishing touches on your wonderful book to get it printed and it will be a sure fire best seller!") Amazon KDP is FREE, but you must do all the editing, formatting and advertising yourself!
Semper Vaporo,

Return to General Discussion