Close

Only record when movement in a rules region.

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
bugilt

Only record when movement in a rules region.

by bugilt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:32 pm

There are branches that move in and out of my cameras line of sight when the wind blows. I have rules setup with regions that the branches never penetrate. The software still temporarily store these files even though it's of nothing. Is there a way to turn this off and only have recording activate on a rule being triggered from a region?

Semper Vaporo

Re: Only record when movement in a rules region.

by Semper Vaporo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 am

Yes, ALL video is saved to disk constantly. ANY motion will cause an entry in the database as motion detected, regardless of where it occurs or if it fits a rule.

When in "Search" mode, to see clips where motion occurred only in a rule specified region, select the rule that describes the region and all the clips that have motion outside of the rule's region will be eliminated from the list and you will see only the clips where motion was in the region.

One of the downsides to this is that if you have multiple rules, you can only select one rule at a time and thus cannot see all the clips for more than one rule at a time.

Another downside is that with no rules selected the entries in the list will be marked as "Temporary video (not saved by a rule)" if there is any motion in that clip that does not match a rule, giving the false impression that the whole clip is not from a rule, even if there is motion that fits a rule within the clip time frame.

Note that all those clips of motion outside of the rule will get deleted eventually and all you will see are the clips from the rules, including the ones that previously were listed as "Temporary", but those "Temporary" entries will be further clipped to just the time frame that fits the rule.

Personally, I wish I could select multiple rules (but not all) and multiple cameras (but not all).

Additionally, I'd like to see that "Temporary video..." label changed such that if any portion of a clip matches a rule, then it would not be labeled as "Temporary" but either not marked at all (same as any clip that is "saved by rule"), or will have a label that states a portion of the clip IS to be saved by rule. As it is, the label is misleading.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
bugilt

by bugilt » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:16 am

I guess my issues is the rules aren't working. I see the bonding box around the vehicles and people. Everything falls under unknown when I search. There are no videos under each rule and there were reasons for the rules to trigger.

The CPU is:
Intel® Core™ i5-7260U
Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:10 am

There have been some complaints that SH rules fail to work properly when SH is run in a Virtual Machine. See the thread: topic13337
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
bugilt

by bugilt » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:20 am

No virtual machine. It's running on a NUC running windows 10.

no avatar
bugilt

by bugilt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 am

The rules are still not working properly. I see bounding boxes, but noting is stored under the rules when I search for all or particular rules. Is this the same issue others are having. I'm running different software until this is solved.

Return to Technical Support