Close

Remote Access App internal vs. external network

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
JakeJ

Remote Access App internal vs. external network

by JakeJ » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello Sighthound Support Forum,
I have Sighthound Pro installed on a Macbook Pro 2015 (High Sierra) and it has been running fine. Version 6.1.1 is up to date. I have been having one problem accessing the server from my iPhone App recently. This could be related to a new router (Google WiFi) installed recently, but I'm not certain.
I have a dyndns account that maps a text HTML address to my public WAN address. So, in the iPhone App, I use this address:

MyDomain.dyndns.org: 8848

When I'm not at home, this works great, with no problems. However, when I am at home, connected to my internal network, it will not login to the server over WiFi unless I restart the App and use the internal address (after NAT):

192.168.1.242:8848

Granted when I'm at home, using the dyndns address is trying to access the external WAN address over the port. The Router is set up properly to port forward 8848 to the Macbook for TCP/UDP.

Questions:
1) Does anyone understand what might cause this? It could be a router issue since it never happened with old router.
2) What do people do in general to access their Sighthound server from a phone while both inside the network and remotely? Is there a better way? If a different server address is needed between home and remote, it would be helpful to have a pulldown menu to select between the two.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Jake

no avatar
mr.Magoo

Re: Remote Access App internal vs. external network

by mr.Magoo » Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 pm

It's a routing / DNS issue.

I'm not familiar with Google WiFi so I can't comment on the exact settings, but on my own setup I'm using a dedicated server and have my own DNS, so I had to put in a local DNS entry for my external domain.
i.e. cameras.mydomain.com >> 123.123.123.123

Some routers can handle the external >> internal routing so you don't have to add a local DNS, but it's hit and miss.

Ultimately it's a routing / DNS issue.

no avatar
JakeJ

Re: Remote Access App internal vs. external network

by JakeJ » Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm

The DNS characterization of the issue makes complete sense. However, while I see some ways to set up a custom DNS on my laptop, I don't see that capability on an iPhone. Google WiFi allows custom DNS server addresses like most routers, but I don't see how to condition a DNS lookup on a domain on the phone, or Google WiFi router - only give the desired DNS server addresses.

Google Wifi also protects against "DNS rebinding" - by blocking the use of private IP ranges by public domains. It can be turned off by assigning a custom DNS server address. But that did not help, nor am I really accessing an internal IP address. I have the 8848 port of the public IP address forwarded to the Sighthound server internal address.

So, problem still not resolved...

Thx for help

Return to Technical Support