Close

why is remote access still so glacially slow?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
jmg

why is remote access still so glacially slow?

by jmg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 pm

I've tried everything, I'm ready to pack it in.
I'm running the full paid version. I have a lot of cameras .. about 12, most are 4k (a mix of lorex/hikvision, mostly lorex).

Every time I try the remote app on my phone, it takes forever -- minutes -- to get a live feed. Forget about clips.

* I tried reducing resolution to remote access feeds to the lowest possible. No help.
* I tried lowering resolution on each camera in the individual camera settings to 1080p. no differnece
* I switched from cable (200down/30up) to verizon (1,000 down/880gb up). No difference.
* The computer running sighthound is dedicated to DVR purposes ... i7 7700k, 32g ddr4 ram, and a 1080ti. not
a low rent computer. Computer is connected via cat 6 ethernet cable all through gigabit equipment. speedtest.net confirmed over 1k down/900+ up.
AND JUST for kicks and giggles, I swapped Sighthound over to my desktop, which is a 6950x (10 core/20 thread) machine, 64 gigs ram, and dual titan (2017) cards in sli. no difference.
* Confirmed proper ports were opened (I do actually get a feed, just takes forever)
* the phone I'm using for remote access is an s8, verizon. Speedtest.net indicates 20mbdown/12mbit up. That should be plenty fast for low-res views (and it's not even the streaming that gets me.. it takes minutes just to connect-- I'm staring for at least three minutes at a black screen for each camera saying "connecting")
* I disconnected a few cameras, brought it down to 4 cameras. That reduced the time to around 2 minutes. But that isn't a solution, this is supposed to be premium software. If it can't run all ten cameras, it's useless.

(all ports are properly open -- I do get a feed, just takes forever).

I love the sighthound program, and the search functionality, but without a useable android client, it's useless. I'm going to try BI this weekend, and hope it doesn't have the same issues.

no avatar
jmg

Re: why is remote access still so glacially slow?

by jmg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm running version 1.4 of the mobile app btw and 5.1.6 of the software.

sv_alex

by sv_alex » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:11 pm

You should see the best results using "Original" quality setting for both clips and live stream. Also, please make sure that "Enable live stream fast start" checkox is checked. If after changing the configuration to use those values (and performing the full software restart, to be sure), you're still experiencing this behavior, please open a ticket using "Help -> Report a problem...", and we'll be happy to help troubleshoot.

Normally, with the settings above, both live stream and clips should load in 4-7 seconds.

no avatar
jmg

by jmg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 am

tried all. nada. Still horribly slow.
I tried competitor product (won't name names), and live feeds for same cameras come up in seconds. definitely not a hardware issue.

Kbond

by Kbond » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello,

We are sorry that you are still seeing issues. Can you please click Help > Report a Problem from the machine that is running Sighthound? This will send us over your logs which will help us debug this issue further. We will continue this conversation in that email thread.

We will be standing by for your reply, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

no avatar
JesseS

by JesseS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 pm

This is strange, you seem to be doing everything correctly. I am using a dedicated iMAC i5 quad core as my security center, with 9 cameras and on Verizon 4G I get my first camera feed in 5 seconds and the last one in about 8-10 seconds, when I select a camera I get full screen video with sound in a few seconds every time. I am also on a GB network with the computer and all cameras on the same switch. So the issue must be with your setup somewhere as the SV software is working at speed for me. Hope you get it worked out.

no avatar
jmg

by jmg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm

ok-- confirmed "fast" setting clicked, made double sure clips/live video set to original size, did a full reboot, and still glacially slow to load up.

System is running at around 50% load under taskmagr, so there's not phantom process slowing me down.

I submitted a ticket. Please address quickly, this is kind of a deal breaker for me. I love the clip searching functionality of SH, but I've so far tried two "other" softare packages and neither have this issue-- live view comes up almost instantly on those programs.

OH, also, tried saving video to a 480gb intel 980p optane drive. Not a bit of difference.

no avatar
jmg

by jmg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:48 pm

still no resolution on this.. been using BI for a few weeks now, I'm just going to stick with that.

Return to General Discussion