Close

Tools -> Options -> Storage rules

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Goose

Tools -> Options -> Storage rules

by Goose » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:23 am

Just double checking my understanding as I have files that I think are too old in archive directory.

I have "For clips and temporary video, use up to:" set to 1400GB
I have "Temporarily keep all videos for up to:" set to 240 hours

If I have a file that did match a rule it will be kept forever if the disk space quota is not reached?

If so then I need an external task to delete old files and I have to hope that SH will update it's database when it realises the files are missing?

sv_alex

Re: Tools -> Options -> Storage rules

by sv_alex » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

Hi,

I may be misunderstanding the question, but if the old clips (as opposed to temporary video) are a concern, wouldn't one want to set the disk quota lower than 1.4TB, rather than running an external task to remove files? And if there is 1.4TB available to spare, why is there a need to clean up old video externally?

In general, we do not advise deletion or modification of video files recorded by Sighthound Video.

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am

If none of the videos are older than the time specified by the user and the disk content is at the maximum value set by the user, which video will be deleted...

1) the oldest video with no motion detected,
2) the oldest video with motion detected but not fitting a rule,
or
3) the oldest video that matches a rule?
Semper Vaporo,

Kbond

by Kbond » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello,

So there are two types of videos in Sighthound, temporary and saved clips. Saved clips are clips that have been saved because a rule has been met. All video is recorded and saved for a temporary period of time, then deleted usually after 48 hours which is classified as Temporary clips.

Temporary clips hold priority over saved clips. So if you run out of memory, the oldest Saved clip will be deleted. You can find more information about saved and temporary clips at the link below:

https://www.sighthound.com/support/managing-your-video

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,

Kevin

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 pm

I hate to differ with your description of how disk space is managed, but I need more info…

First, note that I am running version 2.5.1 of Sighthound because my computer is not able to be connected to the internet to verify the licensing requirements of the newer versions. I have been a user of Vitamin D Video since the Beta testing and have paid for licenses up though version 2 of Sighthound.

On 10/19/2017, I did a complete re-install of the software because the computer I had been using died. I bought a new Windows 10 computer with a 1-TB harddrive and added a 1-TB Solid State drive to be dedicated to just the Sighthound video data.

I set Sighthound to use 894 GB of space on the SSD and to keep all temporary files for 336 hours (14 days).

I have taken the following data on 11/29/2017 @ 07:00 PM (1 month and 10 days after the restart).

The oldest folder for any camera is dated 10/19/2017 @ 8:19 PM. (There are other newer folders because I add and delete/change some cameras periodically.)

The oldest folder in that camera’s folder is dated 10/19/2017 @ 8:52 PM (I think that was about the time I finished the setup of the new computer and started Sighthound). That folder is empty of any data files. It shows a “Last Modified” date of 10/23/2017 @ 6:52 PM. I assume that is the date that Sighthound deleted the last file from it to make room for more recent video. I know that a Thursday would have had hundreds of Temporary clips and at least a dozen or more Saved clips of the 8 cameras on the system on that date.

The oldest folder that has files in it, is dated 10/20/2017. It has 5 files in it, but Sighthound only shows 3 associated with that camera, and only 2 associated with one other camera and none at all for the other 6 cameras, yet the other camera’s folders hold a total of 22 files for that date (all of them are 3 to 16 seconds in length).

The date created for those files are:
10/24/2017 @ 10:22 AM
10/24/2017 @ 11:18 AM
10/24/2017 @ 11:20 AM
10/24/2017 @ 01:11 PM
10/24/2017 @ 02:53 PM
These would be the times when the system split them out of the raw data files to create just the “Saved by Rule” clips.

But, Sighthound only shows 3 clips for the 10/20/2017 date:
10:05 PM
10:59 PM
11:02 PM

I don’t know why there are only the 3 clips listed out of the 5 on the disk in that folder, nor do I understand what happened to the dozen that should be there based on the number of “Saved by Rule” clips I normally see on a Friday. The next day shows 17 clips, and each day after that ranged from 10 to 24 clips. All indicate they are Saved by Rule because they don’t state they are “Temporary”.

Leap ahead to 11/15/2017 (14 days ago.) and there are only Saved by rule clips present (12 of them).

The days following that have only saved by rule clips (from 10 to 24 per day) up to 11/26/2017, where there are 305 clips, only 10 of which are Saved by rule. The oldest “Temporary” file is at time 3:43 PM.

Thus, (if my base 24 math is right) the system is deleting temporary clips older than… um…
10/29/2017 @ 7:00 PM
-10/26/2017 @ 3:43 PM
---------------------------------
3 days 3.25 hours = 75.25 hours.

That is neither the default of 48 hours to keep clips, nor the 336 hours I specified.

I have read the support article (referred to in Kbond’s post of Nov 29 @ 3:56 PM) several times in the past but I am just not clear in my understanding of it. It seems to treat Time and Space as interchangeable. I realize that to some physicists that is true, but this situation has nothing to do with String Theory.

It says I can set the amount of disk space used by all files and how long to keep the Temporary files, but it does not address what happens when the total of all the files exceeds the allotted space, before the time for keeping Temporary files is reached.

Kbond stated that in that circumstance, the oldest Saved clip (I assume that means "Saved by Rule") will be deleted first, but that does not jibe with what I am seeing on my system.

Care to drag me out of my lack of understanding? :-]
Semper Vaporo,

Kbond

by Kbond » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey Semper,

This might be a Sighthound version dispute. Our current version of Sighthound will record ALL video for a certain amount of time which is set in the preferences/options dialog - these are the temporary videos. After the specified period of time has passed SV will automatically trim the video and keep only the portions that matched rules with the "save" response. These clips will be kept until either your hard drive is full or SV reaches the disk quota set in the preferences dialog. Clips are then deleted oldest first to make room.

If you are seeing something different then it is most likely due to having an older version.

Does that help? Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Regards,

Kevin

Return to Technical Support