Close

Video is recorded continuously without motion

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
N7AS

Video is recorded continuously without motion

by N7AS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 am

I have my camera to detect people crossing a line. Why does it record video all the time even when there is no motion. When I close sighthound, it still records. Why?

Devin

Re: Video is recorded continuously without motion

by Devin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:54 am

Hi N7AS,

Sighthound Video has two types of data - "cache" or "temporary" video, and “saved".

Sighthound Video will record ALL video for a certain amount of time, you can set this in the preferences dialog - this is the cache. After the specified period of time has passed Sighthound Video will automatically trim the video and keep only the portions that matched rules with the "save" response. By default when cameras are added they have a rule "All objects in <camera name>" configured with the save response. These clips will be kept until either your hard drive is full or Sighthound Video reaches the disk quota set in the preferences dialog. “Saved” clips are then deleted oldest first to make room.

More details can be found here: https://www.sighthound.com/support/managing-your-video

no avatar
N7AS

by N7AS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:17 pm

That's all well and good. However, why does it record even when there is NO MOTION? I have my saved files set at 1GB. I would rather just see videos of actual motion and not everything.

Devin

by Devin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi N7AS,

Sighthound must record all footage from your camera in order to run the algorithms and determine if there is movement or not. If you do not care about video that doesn't match your rules (no motion) then I recommend setting "Temporarily keep all video for up to:___hours" to 1 hour, as this will free up disk space for your saved clips.

You should only see clips with motion, which match the selected filter, when viewing your clips in the Search View.

Regards,

-Devin

Return to General Discussion