Close

save trigger images to disk instead of email

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
astrorob

save trigger images to disk instead of email

by astrorob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 am

browsing thru the UI, i could not find a way to do this -

is it possible to have sighthound save (to disk) the 'trigger' images that it would send via email, instead of sending the email? it seems all the save-to-disk stuff is for video clips only.

thanks

Devin

Re: save trigger images to disk instead of email

by Devin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello astrorob,

There currently isn't a way to save still images of an event to disk. This is on our list of features to consider for the future, but we have no immediate plans to add it.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
astrorob

by astrorob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm

ok thanks. i have cameras with large sensors and managing the trigger frames by email is pretty difficult given the volume of messages. lots of IMAP thrashing copying messages from the server and then deleting from server. the only easy solution right now is just to delete everything, but i do want to save the trigger images indefinitely.

no avatar
CraigNZ

by CraigNZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm

You can achieve this with an IFTTT applet.

This is how I do this:
1. Send emails to a gmail account
2. Use ifttt.com to save automatically attachments to dropbox (could alternatively use gdrive/onedrive)

The most recent version of Sighthound (5.14) has email attachment names with the camera name and date time which is really useful. They ifftt delay is usually less than 2 minutes.

This is great way to quickly flick through all the activity.

no avatar
astrorob

by astrorob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm

CraigNZ wrote:You can achieve this with an IFTTT applet.

This is how I do this:
1. Send emails to a gmail account
2. Use ifttt.com to save automatically attachments to dropbox (could alternatively use gdrive/onedrive)

The most recent version of Sighthound (5.14) has email attachment names with the camera name and date time which is really useful. They ifftt delay is usually less than 2 minutes.

This is great way to quickly flick through all the activity.

so ifttt has to be given access to the gmail account? would rather not do that if possible.

it does look like one of the upgrades improved the attachment naming to have date/time/camera name. i think the first try at this only had the camera name and time of day.

but, the new filename format gives me a partial solution to my problem - in theory i can just select all the email messages in apple mail and save attachments, then just delete the emails. i had been archiving the emails in a local mbox but that grew to such a gargantuan size that i'll probably have to write a script to extract the attachments.

still, saving the trigger images in the first place would be preferable.

sv_alex

by sv_alex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm

CraigNZ,

That's a nifty way of doing that!

I also want to point out the utility of combining email alerts with Google Inbox. Google Inbox makes it possible to quickly page through all images in the email thread, which makes reviewing the email notifications a breeze.

That being said, we do like the original suggestion as well, and hopefully we'll be able to work it in sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
- Alex

no avatar
astrorob

by astrorob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

i hate to keep making nitpicky requests, but could we have the option to name the files with military time instead of am/pm? that way AM/PM won't get interleaved when sorted by name.

thanks

no avatar
tcesario

by tcesario » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 pm

astrorob wrote:
so ifttt has to be given access to the gmail account? would rather not do that if possible.

My Sighthound email notification go to a dedicated gmail account, so no biggie if it was somehow compromised. You could do the same if you have IFTTT security concerns with your gmail credentials.

-Tony

Return to General Discussion