Close

User favorites for cameras?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Walt Dockery

User favorites for cameras?

by Walt Dockery » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Maybe I am missing it but I am a bit surprised there aren't more threads discussing users' preferred/recommended camera choices.

I recently moved and included the cameras w/ sale of my old house so I am starting over from an equipment standpoint. At my previous house I had Wirepath cameras from Snapav, which I was not happy with mainly because the wirepath software as terrible and customer support to the end user was nonexistent.

Does anyone have recommendations for cameras with good image quality, ideally w/ sound as well, that are reliable and work well and ideally from manufacturers w/ good customer service? Prefer wired/POE but would consider wireless if they are reliable.
Last edited by Walt Dockery on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sv_alex

Re: User favorite cameras?

by sv_alex » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Axis definitely makes the most stable and compatible cameras. Not cheap, but in many cases is well worth it.

I've had a good experience with Hikvision as well (have 5 different models deployed): very good bang for the buck.

no avatar
Walt Dockery

Re: User favorites for cameras?

by Walt Dockery » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Does Axis sell and provide support directly to the end user or do you have to go through a dealer network?

sv_alex

by sv_alex » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Can't vouch for warranty support, since I've never had to deal with it (probably best to get the answer directly from Axis), but both BHPhoto and Amazon sell Axis cameras directly to consumer.

no avatar
sumguy

by sumguy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 am

I have used Axis cameras at work. They work very well but are very expensive.

For my house, I use hikvision cameras. Really good price and quality. All my cameras are POE so I only have to run one wire.

no avatar
mosheldon

by mosheldon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Hikvision has good value. Pretty rock solid.

no avatar
Landofmichael

by Landofmichael » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Axis is way overpriced
Hikvision cameras are great for the price (Only buy from a licensed reseller or you get no bios updates) and change the password as soon as you install them.

Return to General Discussion