Close

Frustrating false positives on people detection

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Jason246

Frustrating false positives on people detection

by Jason246 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all

I'm busy testing out Sighthound but I'm getting frustrated with the continuous false positives on people detection.

My cat and dog are always triggering the alert. I have gone as far as setting the "Ignore objects under 70 pixels" but this is still not helping. I have triple checked that the cameras are set to detect people only.

Dog

Cat

The cameras are streaming as a good frame rate (30fps) and the wireless connection is high.

Is there anything I can do to improve this detection?

Thank you.

no avatar
nasell

Re: Frustrating false positives on people detection

by nasell » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I posted a concern about this too, less than a month ago, and got crickets. Really kind of surprised that no one from SH is jumping in to address, considering this is kind of a core feature. Certainly the most advertised feature.

Chime in SH!

Stephen Neish, CEO

by Stephen Neish, CEO » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Sorry you are seeing those guys. You're right, this is a feature we work very hard on and so it's disappointing to see those animals being detected as people. There is a constant training effort to eliminate FPs. If you are willing, we'd be grateful if you could you do a couple of things to help. Firstly, if you haven't already, could you send a bug report to support@sighthound.com so we can make sure we know the version number and see if all is as it should be. Secondly, can you send some clips over (Dropbox, Google drive etc) so the CV Lab can take a look at what exactly is fooling the software.

Thanks for the feedback and any assistance you can give.

Stephen Neish, CEO

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Stephen

I have the same issue and have posted bug reports and sent video clips and screen stills

case 23931 and 23957 still outstanding with no update. I have people coming out of cars and Sighthound cannot seperate them as a person event when they are 10 feet between the person and the car as they walk. I also have an outstanding issue where I have a gate open and close rule that creates the correct clip and alert but never trigger email or push. If I change the same rule to "anywhere" the person is detected and the email and push alert is sent. so its the rule not the settings. I have been using vitd and sighthound for 7 years and pay for 2 pro installs.

Hope you can fix

Many thanks

Steve

ryan

by ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Steve,

Apologies that you have not yet received replies to your emails from Thursday.

For person detection, in the images you shared the person leaving the car is wearing all black which blends extremely well with the shadowy driveway. This caused the application to only identify the head as a departing object as you can see by the tracking box. The contents of that tracking box are not identifiable as a person which led to the false positive you experienced. If you find that this is *always* happening rather than in this instance please reply to the email with more examples to let us know.

The region of that frame around the person and driveway are also very 'mushy' - you may benefit from increasing the bitrate on that camera if it is somewhat low, or this could be simply how the encoder handles large regions of little contrast variation. It is also possibly a byproduct of your screenshot encoding and not present in the original.

We had company holidays Friday and Monday so engineers haven't had a chance to look at the updates to your gate response issue but will do so shortly. We have not yet been able to reproduce the issue from the original Tuesday bug report.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 am

Hi Ryan

the screen shots I sent were taken via a remote team viewer connection the movie is full HD so I will send the clip and you will see there is no bluring and the frame rate was 30fps.

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 am

Hi Ryan

I have emailed a 2nd movie clip of the people open gate bug not sending email or push alerts. I raised the bug and send a bug report on the 10th of April, and if you look at the forum you will see I also posted a note on the 11th April saying I had email the bug report. thats now 10 days since the inital bug report was sent, not the thursday easter holiday as you mentioned in your post, that was my reminder to support. I still have had no contact or feedback from the original or follow up emails, I have send a few. Hope you can fix soon. if you need any more examples I have sent 3 bug report, two movie clips and 6 screen shots please let me know.

Many thanks

Steve

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 am

Hi Ryan

Recived email this morning thanks. Good luck in fixing

Steve

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Ryan

Any update on case 23957? I have sent more clips and movies and I know you have recived them but that another 7 days with no update, fix or workaround. can you please give me an update. A rule that is open and close door, people, is not sending email or push alert.

Steve

Devin

by Devin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Steve,

We are investigating this issue, though I'm afraid we don't yet have any fixes for you to try. In the meantime, if this started with the latest updates you can try reverting to a previous version by logging in to https://www.sighthound.com/account/ and clicking the "Looking for a previous version?" text.

Regards,

-Devin

Return to Technical Support