Close

Multiple Network Interface Devices

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
RottenMutt

Multiple Network Interface Devices

by RottenMutt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:19 am

Will SH work with cameras on a separate network from the home network? I wouldn't want to share my network with 14+ 1080p cameras streaming.

If so how to setup?

Semper Vaporo

Re: Multiple Network Interface Devices

by Semper Vaporo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

I have 4 IP cameras on a separate network. I bought a Router/WiFi and have 4 cameras and the computer plugged into it (I do not use WiFi, and this device has 5 connectors, so I am okay, but I think it can be daisy-chained with another router to gain even more hardwire connections).

But there are TWO "major" problems with this...

1) I cannot get to the internet to get the (latest incarnations of the) program to register with SightHound! Thus I am stuck using version 2.x.x, the last version that didn't need to phone home to enable itself.

2) I also cannot use the remote functions of receiving e-mail or txt alerts in the outside world.

I'd love to upgrade to use the latest improvements to detection and speed, but can't because I cannot (won't) connect my standalone surveillance PC to the internet. But what I have works for me and I am very pleased with it. I find it works the way I want, and much better than any of the competition that I have tried in the past.

I suppose one might get a second router and connect it to the cameras and dedicated surveillance computer, and then daisy-chain it off of the primary router that has access to the internet. That way, all of the video streaming from the cameras to the computer would be limited to passing through just that router to the computer and only internet destined traffic would be passed to the primary router to reach the outside world. I don't know enough about routers to know if there is any special setup in either router (or in SightHound) to get through two routers to get the surveillance computer to talk to the internet/outside world.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
jbrannen

by jbrannen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm

My Sighthound box has two NICs....one connecting that box to the normal house LAN, and another on a segregated network specifically for the cameras. The connections are not bridged. I'll admit I don't know enough to know if this is a kosher setup or not.

The NIC with the cameras is attached to my pfSense firewall for purposes of getting an NTP time signal to the cameras, but traffic to from the internet on that interface is all blocked.

no avatar
RottenMutt

by RottenMutt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 pm

I think I would need to setup a dhcp server (in windows) on the camera network, perhaps put a ntp server on there as well, and tell sighthound which network the cameras are on. Is it that simple?
Can I view the camera streams from my phone?

I've currently have a Lorex Network DVR (LNR200) with 8 cameras (LNB2151, 3MP hikvision cameras), a few Foscams inside the house I and a Q-see 20x zoom outdoor camera... would be nice to have a cameras on one app...

no avatar
jbrannen

by jbrannen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:35 pm

It's actually simpler than that. No need for a DHCP server at all. Add another NIC, assign it a static IP. You'll need to be on a different subnet, or a completely different IP range.

Assign appropriate IP addresses to your cameras statically as well.

Sighthound will (should?) be able to communicate on the NIC that has access to the internet.

So in my case, the regular LAN addresses are 192.168.1.XXX.

The cameras and NIC for the security LAN are on 10.10.10.XXX.

To the best of my knowledge, this arrangement is secure.

no avatar
RottenMutt

by RottenMutt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Does the software need a specific default password set on the individual cameras?

I bought two swan cameras on the cheap, same as my lorex cameras, all i need to to get them to works was change the default password.

16 port POE+ plus switches are reasonable now, any recommendations? would like a green switch.

I will probably build another Intel NUC (would need a separate Ethernet device like a thunderbolt adapter), I've been extremely pleased with how little power they consume, or I use/install on my WHS2011 server. I plan to ftp video clips of people to a nas in my safe.

no avatar
jbrannen

by jbrannen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Sighthound will need to know the login credentials of the cameras to get to the video stream.

I use a netgear 24 port gigabit switch that has 12 PoE ports.

no avatar
RottenMutt

by RottenMutt » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am

Equipment:
LNB4163BW 4MP High Definition IP Camera with Color Night Vision
LNB8111BW 4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Outdoor IP Camera, 130ft Night Vision
Netgear m4100-24g-poe+ Managed Switch
TP Link EAP330 AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point

So far I've been able to enable the native dhcp server on the netgear switch, set it up on the private class b IP range, enabled the windows native time server, can see the cameras and access point get IP addresses, can log in to and configure the access point, but can not login to the cameras (camera doesn't respond to IP address, in the class B private range)!
If I plug the cameras into my regular home network in the class c private range I can login to the cameras! Seem access is blocked based on IP address. Any ideas?

Also the 4MP camera doesn't appear to have a reset button, the 4K camera has a cover plate to access the reset button which makes me apprehensive to change the ip to static.

I did notice the 4K camera defaults to h.264 and you need to configure it to use h.265, which was a question i had since SH doesn't support h.265 yet.

Return to General Discussion