Close

Should I buy Sighthound Video?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

ryan

Re: Should I buy Sighthound Video?

by ryan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm

JB,

You're correct that subscriptions can't have a gap when renewed, perhaps "if you hadn't upgraded in 3 years ... you'd be able to upgrade without paying full license cost" was a bit ambiguous. I was attempting to highlight that contrary to how software upgrades typically work there is no timeout period to force you into a decision before losing the ability to upgrade at reduced cost. In your example if a subscription had been lapsed for 3 years you'd need to pay for those 3 years, not just one.

Let's say you bought version 4.0 on January 1, 2017. That would included 1 year of support and major version upgrades, through Jan 1 2018.

If version 5 came out in July of 2017 you'd get it and any 5.X versions ever made because 5.0 was released while you had an active subscription.

Version 6 is released sometime, you opt to skip it and continue using 5.X.

If version 7 came out November 2019 and you wanted it you'd need to renew. Since your subscription had expired Jan 1 2018 you'd need to renew for two years, extending it from Jan 1 2018 to Jan 1 2020. This means that despite not having maintained the support & upgrades you'd still be able to still upgrade to version 7 at a large discount, paying 40% (2 years * 20%) vs cost of a new license.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

Previous

Return to General Discussion