Close

Ignore entire region (to save processing), et.al.

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
beeftube

Ignore entire region (to save processing), et.al.

by beeftube » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

Great product, I'm very close to purchasing. A few things that I think would greatly improve things in general:

1) The ability to define a region that SightHound completely ignores for processing

3MP+ cameras are becoming the norm, and the ability to process these resolutions puts real strain on CPUs. The ability to select a region of a camera image to completely ignore for any type of processing would be greatly beneficial -- it would free up CPU usage to add in different camera feeds, and has an added benefit of convincing people to buy bigger licenses!

For instance, I have a camera where approx. 20% of the image is a wall that nothing could possibly move over, except maybe moths/bugs. It would be great to highlight that wall, tell SightHound to do ZERO processing on that part of the image. More resources for processing other parts of the image or additional camera feeds.

2) Process an image for people/objects on a camera's sub-stream, record events from the main stream

As you know, many cameras have a main stream and a sub stream that can be set to a lower resolution. If this sub stream could be used for motion detection and people/object identification, and then SightHound could actually record the event from the larger-resolution main stream when a rule was triggered, that would be a great compromise in terms of resource usage and disk space utilization.

EDIT: I just saw another post highlighting why this may not be immediately doable for various reasons. I understand why it wouldn't be useful for environments demanding high accuracy, but may be an interesting addition for home/soho environments.

3) This is minor, but would be fun -- ability to post to a Twitter feed when a rule was triggered.

Email is great and all, but this could be an interesting way of gathering alerts.

Thanks guys!

Devin

Re: Ignore entire region (to save processing), et.al.

by Devin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi beeftube,

Thanks for sharing your feature requests. We will take your suggestions into consideration for future builds. In the meantime, if you haven't already, you can set a rule to ignore all objects within a region to eliminate false detections from bugs. I realize this will not result in the CPU improvement you are looking for but it will reduce useless video and notifications.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
beeftube

by beeftube » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at that! I appreciate that you guys read the posts here.

One more quick question - supposedly there's a 14 day free Pro trial included with the Starter download, but I'm unable to find how to activate that. What am I missing?

Devin

by Devin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi beeftube,

Please submit a bug report from within the application by going to "Help > Report a Problem" and we'll respond over email as to not give out any personal information over the forums which may be needed.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
webloader

by webloader » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:00 am

+1 for the main/substream feature , at the moment I have had to reduce the FPS settings on all my cameras due to CPU contraints. As you stated the problem is only going to get worse as the cameras all increase in resolution.

no avatar
Vidtec

by Vidtec » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:59 pm

"you can set a rule to ignore all objects within a region to eliminate false detections from bugs"

I can find a setting to "ignore" a region.... Can you advise how to do that?

Devin

by Devin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi Vidtec,

My apologies, to ignore everything inside of a region you want to use the "Outside a region" option. (see https://www.sighthound.com/support/rule-editor#region)

Regards,

-Devin

camera_kat

by camera_kat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Devin wrote:Hi Vidtec,

My apologies, to ignore everything inside of a region you want to use the "Outside a region" option. (see https://www.sighthound.com/support/rule-editor#region)

Regards,

-Devin

Devin, "outside the region" does nothing to prevent motion recording. It is still considered motion, and sighthound still records it to disk. The program needs true motion sensing boundaries so "everything" isn't written to disk and then analyzed after the fact. This is incredibly wasteful.

no avatar
beeftube

by beeftube » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:12 am

I know it's my own post - but I logged back into the forums today just to +1 the detect-on-substream, record-on-main-stream idea.

I'm planning adding more cameras to my installation (and, of course, upgrading to the Unlimited SightHound license) and can't help but think that processing on a lower resolution stream would really be friendlier on the CPU.

no avatar
nz_cctv

by nz_cctv » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Might be necro posting here.
Most cameras allow a privacy option to block out areas in camera.

That would also have the desired effect.
I have had to use this to block out some bushes that go wild with wind.

In SightHound would be better though :) +1

Next

Return to Feature Requests