Close

Where are the configuration files stored?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
AlKoch

Where are the configuration files stored?

by AlKoch » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello,

I would like to backup all of my configuration (generic and the cameras). Can someone please tell me where the "config" files are stored so I can make a backup copy?

Thank you.

Devin

Re: Where are the configuration files stored?

by Devin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi AlKoch,

You can find the data directory at https://www.sighthound.com/support/wher ... store-data . To save your cameras and rules you will want to copy out the entire rules folder and the camdb file.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
AlKoch

by AlKoch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Thank you Devin, but I have a follow on question. I used Tools | Options several days ago to redirect the video storage to another drive. However, when I look at C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\ I see a Tmp folder that contains two folders, one for each of two camera names I had created and in each folder is a video clip dated yesterday. Can you explain why I would have these two clips here when "all" of the other clips are being stored on the other drive?

Devin

by Devin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi AlKoch,

This folder is meant to temporarily hold video files that are being created and are then moved to the video archives. If this folder was in an external drive which could not be reached the results would be catastrophic. Keep in mind these directories should not be interacted with as any tampering could interfere with Sighthound. Everything you need to do with your video should be possible by interacting with the application itself.

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
AlKoch

by AlKoch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks. Just to be clear, your ...\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\ folder is on the local drive so it's not been moved - I can see how it not being available could be a huge problem. And I now understand that that location is a temp/working area until the clips are moved to the location I set in Tools | Options but at this point I wouldn't expect files dated yesterday to still be there. Can I assume that they are still there due to a "malfunction" of some type?

When this happens and the files are "old" can I just manually delete them from this folder? Otherwise, they'll just sit there as "orphans" for ever.

Thanks.

ryan

by ryan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Al,

I would highly recommend you treat the Sighthound Video data directory as a black box. You can of course poke around there if you'd like, but keep in mind that nothing in that directory is intended to be modified or even viewed by an end user, and doing so may result in unexpected occurrences or data loss.

On the specific topic of files in the tmp directory, without knowing what they are, what events have occurred within Sighthound Video, or what has occurred in general on your computer I can't state anything definitively. You can delete them if you want, in the worst case you will suffer a bit of data loss. If you don't delete them and they are not actually needed for some reason they will eventually be removed automatically.

Best,
- ryan
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
AlKoch

by AlKoch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Devin,

I think I'm starring to understand much better. Based on a recommendation you made in another post, I reduced my temp clip storage time from 48 to 24. Then I got curious and went back to the Tmp folder and those files were gone! I guess that means that they were temp files that Sighthound had NOT forgotten about but the 48 hours hadn't elapsed. As soon as I shortened the delay to 24 hours Sighthound cleaned them up - nice!

Thanks.

Return to General Discussion