Close

Problem with program updates

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
dualarrow

Problem with program updates

by dualarrow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 am

Hi,

How are updates processed ? I have a basic version of Sighthound and I know there are updates, but whenever I tell it to check for updates, I get a message saying "Sighthound video update information could not be retrieved. Please check your internet connection, or try again".

My internet is working. My web browser can load pages. DNS is working.

My firewall does not block any outbound ports.

What could be stopping the updates ?

Thanks,
Andrew

ryan

Re: Problem with program updates

by ryan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi Andrew,

I haven't heard of a problem like this before so I'm afraid I don't have a solution offhand. It sounds like something is blocking the update check to sighthound.com, whether on your machine, at your router, or somewhere between your house and our server. It's a simple web request, there isn't anything overly special or complicated occurring.

If you'd like to submit a bug report from inside the application (Help->Report a Problem) after such a check fails I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can determine anything from the recent logs.

As a workaround you can manually install the new version.

* Download the dmg or exe from sighthound.com
* Turn off all of your cameras in Sighthound Video and exit the application
* Check Task Manager (win) or Activity Monitor (mac) and ensure no "Sighthound ______" processes are still running
* Install the downloaded application
* Launch the app and re-enable your cameras
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

Return to Technical Support